Friday, April 23, 2010

Greetings from Kabul

So, as a reminder, I am located at ISAF (International Security Assistance Force headed by GEN Stanley McChrystal) HQ in Kabul. The base here is made up mostly of French, British, Italian, Macedonian, German, Belgian military personnel and also a very large number of civilians working for "three letter agencies" out of Washington, DC. There are about 2,000 people here. About a 10-minute walk is the American Embassy and another base called Camp Eggers.

Living where I am is like living in a very small European village (I can walk around this base in about 10 minutes) in the middle of a third-world city like Kabul. Each European nationality has its own cafe, small convenience store (the Italians' is the most expensive) so it's pretty cool. I live in a dorm style building next to a lot of Europeans. There are are two floors with each floor having about 60 people. Given there are five showers and a trough style sink in the very small bathroom, it's challenging in the morning but so far, I've only to wait once to take a shower. Flip flops are mandatory to wear here in the showers. Speaking of our showers, they are so small that when you turn around in them, the shower curtain sticks to the back of your body (butt to be specific). Plus, when you turn them on, the water shoots out on the floor where you just brushed your teeth and shaved!

I basically live in a metal storage container you would rent in the States for $100 a month. Our walls are metal, the floor is a buckled, faded and some cases torn and held together by duct tape container where myself and two other people share their lives for months. My roommates are top-notch. One is in the Royal British Air Force and the other is a Marine Major. Both travel quite a bit so I've had the room to myself a few nights and will have it more in May. Both are great guys and of course, I love the Brit's accent.

That's it for now. Hope you enjoy the first photos from Kabul.

No comments:

Post a Comment